Beloosesky Gallery is interested in purchasing paintings by Aryeh Lubin.
Please call (917) 749-4577 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Aryeh (Leo) Lubin or Arieh (Leo) Lubin was born in New York in 1987. In 1913 he immigrated to Israel where he studied at the Herzliyyah Gymnasium.
He began studying art in Chicago in 1915 but with the outbreak of the First World War, he stopped to join the Jewish Brigade. Following the war, he studied in Europe, returning to Israel in 1922. Once settled he joined the group of "modernist" artists and exhibited together with them at a series of important exhibitions at "Migdal David" in Jerusalem (1924) and at "Ohel" In Tel-Aviv (1925). In some of his works, Aryeh Lubin reflects contemporary trends of the 1920s. His main influences were Paul Cézanne, Pablo Picasso, and Henri Matisse. The Cubism of Derain, The Purism of Le Corbusier and Ozenfant – these and other influences he absorbed through the pages of "L'Esprit Nouveau" (the new spirit), a journal he ordered from Paris. In a country virtually isolated form the centers of culture and information, the striving of the Eretz Israel artists of the 1920s to draw on international sources was unique. He was one of the first Israeli artists to settle in the artist’s quarter of Safed.
Aryeh belonged to the first school of "Israeli" art that sprang up in the twenties (together with Rubin, Gutman, Zaritzky, Shemi, Gliksberg and others) whose members rebelled against the teachers of "Bezalel" and made Tel Aviv the artistic center of Israel. In the twenties, many of these artists showed a tendency towards cubism and primitivism: they chose local eastern scenes as the subjects of their works and demonstrated an original "Hebrew" enthusiasm in their approach to the local scene and its inhabitants.
During his artistic career Lubin won many prizes including the John Quincy Adams Prize for Study Abroad in 1922, the Ramat Gan Panorama Prize in 1956, the Olympic Committee Prize for Sports Subjects in 1957 and the Dizengoff Prize for Painting also in 1957. He had two one-man shows at the Tel Aviv Museum (1947 and 1968) and also participated at the Venice Biennale three times in the years 1948, 1950 and 1960 and twice at the Sao Paolo Biennale in 1953 and 1958. In 1978 Lubin was named an Honorary Citizen of the city of Tel Aviv.
Lubin died in Tel Aviv in 1980 and was buried in the Trumpeldor Cemetery.